24 February 2014

Some of my game work

I've managed to pull together some of the work I did for one of my friends' game that he was making.

It's called iCL (International Combat League) and you can find more information and other design work here: iCL ModDB Page Production has currently stopped however and not sure what is happening in the future.

Anyway, I was working on character design and modelling. There were 3 initial character classes to be designed: Viking (heavy), Sioux (sniper) and Egyptian(medic). I worked up some rough ideas and sketches and developed them into the final chosen designs below:

The designs were finalized, but the artwork was left in it's rough stages so that we could push on with creating as much content as possible. The first character chosen to be modeled up was the Sioux class. I started with a load of really basic base models in 3D Studio Max which were then exported into Zbrush for detail modelling. The character model is getting on a bit now, so there are many things I would change if I could remake him now. Below are a few screenshots. This is the final detailed model in Zbrush for the basic Sioux design. (Cape and other extra bits were going to be left out for the initial release of the game)
A close up of his face, which looking at it now could do with a lot more work!
Once the sculpting was complete, it was back into 3D Studio Max to retop the original mesh. Pink parts are the bits that would be duplicated for texturing.
Texturing isn't one of my strong points so I had a little help refining the diffuse map from other team members. Below you can see the almost finished diffuse texture and normal map. Ddo was also a big help in creating some of the grimy and dirt effects. Fantastic piece of software!
A couple of in engine screenshots of him. This was sort of mid way through texturing just before we stopped working on the game.
It was a great project to work on and it kept my modelling skills up after I had finished uni. Maybe one day it will get finished off :)

No comments:

Post a Comment